Published on February 8th, 2018 | by Nicole Vear
28 Days of Gospel History – The Samples in Hip Hop
Inspiration for artists can come from many different places. Broads of musical artists are inspired by other sounds including those made by other musicians in acts of steel sharpening steel. With so much music in existence from the ancient to the contemporary, today’s artists have an enormous well to pull from.
It can be argued that creativity at its best is original and in a paradoxical twist, claim can be made that creativity is the mother of re-invention. Hip Hop music may be one of the best examples of this as it is a form of music that throughout its history, has culled sounds from records of all kinds. Many cultural critics have pointed to this as an issue of originality that can effect different genre’s abilities to both maintain an authentic cultural pulse and create new ways of experiencing culture.
At its best however, musical covers and sampling bridge generations and sounds in ways that bolster another dimension of creation. Some musical worlds at times had been historically so apart that the melding of them forced a mutual recognition that may otherwise had left them galaxies away. The Human energetic responses to some sounds are so powerful that any musician would be remiss not to explore them. In comes Gospel, moving like a sweet chariot towards musical deliverance. Rap music as a genre has not escaped the draw to use and sample such inspirational music, if not to inspire lyrics, then to serve as a foundation for a record’s vibe.
From Gospel rap artists sampling classic Gospel songs to a Jamaican born Toronto immigrant’s tune finding its prime in the 2000s, presented below the Gospel and Inspirational songs used in Hip Hop.
1. “Nobody Knows” – Pastor T. L. Barrett Like a Ship (Without a Sail) Mt. Zion 1971
“Nobody” DJ Khaled feat. Alicia Keys and Nicki Minaj
“Black Man” – T.I. feat. Meek Mill, Quavo and RaRa (2016)
2. “Ha Ya (Eternal Life)” – Clarke Sisters
“Family Fued” – Jay-Z
3. “Angels” – Richard Smallwood
“I Got Angels” · Emcee N.I.C.E.
4. “I Want Jesus to Walk With Me” – Solomon Burke
“Walk With Me” – Lecrae (ft. Novel)
5. “Walk With Me” The Arc Choir
Kanye West “Jesus Walks”
6. King James Version “I’ll Still Love You” from: First Time We Met – Peacock 1974 /
7. God in Me- Mary Mary ft Kierra Sheard
The G In Me – Revolutionary But Gangsta Grillz [dead prez]
8. “Father I Stretch My Hands” – Pastor T. L. Barrett Sampled in “Father I Stretch My Hands” Kanye West
9. “Is There Any Love” – Trevor Dandy Sampled in “Is There Any Love” by Kid Cudi feat. Wale & “Kingdom” by Common
10. “Lord You’re My Everything” – The Thomas Whitfield Company (Things That We Believe) Sampled in “Best One” by NxWorries – Anderson Paak & Knxwledge